A Philadelphia-area jazz singer, who interprets songs in many languages, is also drawing attention to environmental issues. As WRTI’s Susan Lewis reports, Phyllis Chapell finds that music is a way to reach people on many levels. See The Video
- Phyllis Chapell & SIORA's music has been named one of Indie-Music's Top 25 of 2011!
- "Vocalist Phyllis Chapell, who sings in 12 languages, has a voice to die for. If capuccino had a voice, it would be hers. SIORA has blended Latin, Middle Eastern and other rhythms and music into songs that are still, in the end, jazz." Reading Eagle Review
- Phyllis Chapell is an elegant singer who will steal your heart away if you let her. She accompanies herself on guitar, which she plays authoritatively. Her music is tasteful, eclectic and real. She eludes all labels!" Philadelphia Inquirer
- "SIORA delivers a repertoire of indigenous tunes, as well as original compositions, with assurance, insight and affection--Chapell goes beyond singing--extending lyrics into sonic possibilities." Jazz Review
- Phyllis Chapell named one of top 521 jazz vocalists of all time by Scott Yanow (Downbeat, Jazz Times, AllMusicGuide.com) in his new book, "The Jazz Singers: The Ultimate Guide" published by Hal Leonard.
Phyllis Chapell & Siora - World Songs ** World Jazz
"Blending world music and jazz into a soundscape that needs no translation,
SIORA takes you on a world jazz journey of the soul, touching down in Rio, Paris,
Mazer-e-Sharif, and points beyond."
Straight No Chaser, UK
SIORA's twist on world / ethno jazz / nu-jazz / fusion / vocal jazz -- includes American jazz, folk, pop, contemporary, originals and songs from Brazil, Latin America, Europe and the Middle East in the following languages:
Spanish - Portuguese - French - Italian - Hebrew - Yiddish - Ladino - Russian - Arabic -Farsi - Turkish - Armenian - Yoruba